What am I going to get out of three years at University

So, what do I really want out of my 3 years at uni? Of course a pass in the subject I’m doing would be nice, but it doesn’t mean it will secure me a job afterwards. I think quite a few people jump to this conclusion, if they go to uni and get their degree then they can just go out and get the perfect job. Life isn’t like that I’m afraid, especially at the moment, with more and more companies going bust, thousands of employees being made redundant. University is a big investment; you have your accommodation costs, course fees and generally outcome for food etc. You really have to make these 3 years count to really make the most of it.
Personally, I see university a chance to learn and develop new skills which you will need in the near future, to help you secure the job you are after. Sure, you can learn 3ds max in 2 weeks, by paying a couple of thousand pounds, but you don’t get the experience out of it. A lot of people who I have spoken too, who themselves went to uni, say that is has been some of the best years of their life so far. For me, it is the first time where i have become fully independent and I’m enjoying it.
Another thing I plan to get out of uni is a strong portfolio, which is vital when applying for jobs, without it you won’t be going anywhere. I should be able to build up a nice bulk of work ranging from drawings and sculptures to 3d models and digital paintings. Another good thing about the time hear is that we get people in from the industry itself, who can give us valuable advice on what to do and how to go about it.
With all these facts taking in to consideration, my 3 years at uni will be well spent and push me that little bit further to being part of the games industry.

No comments: